Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Last name, first name, middle initial.

Last name, first name, middle initial. Home phone. Work phone. Permanent mailing address. Person to call in case of emergency. In the first blank I wrote George. In the other blanks I wrote N/A.

George, the receptionist said. We also need your last name.

I don’t have a last name, I said. At least none that I can remember. I turned the form around on the counter so it faced me again. Next to my name I wrote N/A. There you go, I said. Will there be anything else?

The receptionist rolled her eyes. Sit down, she said. We’ll call you in a few minutes.

There were no empty chairs, so I sat on the floor next to a potted plant. I propped myself up against the wall. There were scuff marks all over it, and here and there some small writing. I found one message that said, With any luck, the world will end. That cheered me up.

For a long time, no one said George. They said Daniel, and Roberta, and Martha, and Arturo, and Benjamin, but not George. They said Gary, and a door by the receptionist opened, and a big guy got up out of one of the gum-reinforced plastic chairs and walked slowly to the door and disappeared. Ouch, he said, when he was about halfway there. Poor old Gary. He was limping pretty bad.