Sunday, July 23, 2006

Diane Lane

Diane Lane plays this run of the mill, plain Jane, maid??? I personally had a really hard time wrapping my head around Diane Lane in this role when the film started rolling. You notice quickly though the excellent job they did in her makeup and costuming... she truly did just look ordinary.... which I feel played a big part in making her character believable.

The storyline involves a group of friends and their significant others, almost reminded me of that tv show, Thirty Something. The friends are caught up in their lives and dishing on each others. The supporting cast included Joan Cusack, who someone should hand a sandwich too quickly, that quirky guy from Ally McBeal, Greg Germann, Catherine Keener, who I also enjoy and the well known Frances McDormand. After seeing North Country I didn't think that I would ever see McDormand play a character quite so well, but she really was outstanding as the depressed 40 something mother and wife of a closet gay guy.

I enjoyed the storyline, and the odd twist it takes, but was completely unhappy with the lack of ending. I thought for a second that the projector just shut down... I was mistaken. This is best scene at home, it's not worth the dollars to see in theatre.

I give this movie 5 'fundraisers for the homeless...ALS!' out of 10.